A few years ago, I designed a special, whimsical blanket with a matching bag to keep in the car to use on picnics, park visits, and sunny days (mine is in the trunk of my car… and probably has some dried grass woven in now).
The pattern for this “Adventure Travel Blanket” is available from my pattern shop: CLICK HERE.
I hope you will make one for happy moments with kids, family, friends, or for quiet alone time. If you do, please tag #snappytots when posting on social media so I can see your adventures.
The pattern also includes a bag to carry the blanket, books, snacks, and more.
Some of my favorite memories include special blankets:
- Spreading out a blanket in the spring through fall for a picnic or to play games and read books
- Building blanket forts
- Cheering on our favorite soccer players
- Bundling up during a movie, on a car ride, and cuddling with loved ones
Happy “Read Across America Day”!
The free pattern and giveaway have ended. Thank you very much for supporting my site.
Giveaway Winner – Lynne Moore
Lynne, please email [email protected] to claim your 5 snappy patterns.
- Prize: 5 current or future snappy tots crochet and/or knit patterns.
Some Free Snappy Patterns You Might Enjoy
- Cat in MY hat crochet pattern
- Seuss Sayings Printable
- Mini Top Hat and Bow
- Ready to Read Tote
- Marni’s Blanket Lapghan
Some of My Favorite Books
My daughter, an avid reader, has reminded me of the joy and importance of reading. I love how much she reads. She also has shared some of her creative writing on a blog, The Riveting Raven. You can also follow her on Instagram @the.riveting.raven where she shares what she is reading and some of her favorites.
I am a very slow reader so I tend to be picky about what I read. My favorite books seem to be more because of the life experiences at the time I read them. I know, I am a weirdo. Here are my all time favorites:
- Dr. Seuss: audible | GoodReads
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee: audible | GoodReads
- The complete Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rolling (especially the first one): audible | GoodReads
- All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot: audible | GoodReads
I often listen to books through audible so I have included links for both the audible version (for those that might use audible) and a link for the book review/info.
Here are some of my recent favorite books:
- Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey: audible | GoodReads
- Ella Minow Pea, A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn: audible | GoodReads
- I collect the classics and Stephen King books and hope to own and read them all someday. I am about halfway there.
- Currently listening to – Atomic Habits by James Clear: audible | GoodReads
My Family’s favorites:
- Two of my mom’s favorite author’s: Agatha Christie, Mary Higgin’s Clark
I will always remember my mom being able to read really quickly and I bet she has read every book by those two authors… and many, many more.
- Nicolas’ favorite (my oldest son) – Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins: audible | GoodReads
Nicolas goes on and on about this book, quoting it often. It has had a big impact on him.
- Hillary’s suggestion (my daughter) – Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid: audible | GoodReads
Hillary had several great suggestions and I could have made a list of them. You really will want to follow her on Instagram @the.riveting.raven if you are looking for books.
- Hayden’s suggestion (my youngest son, age 15) – The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan: audible | GoodReads Hayden really enjoys this series!
- Kelly’s suggestion (my sister) – The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley: audible | GoodReads
Kelly has also always been an avid, fast reader. She is the one I think of when I think of sitting on a blanket reading a book. I think she stole all of the “quick reading” genes!
- Kayleigh’s suggestion (my daughter in law) – The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton: audible | GoodReads
I hope you will take time to enjoy moments with a book. I often hear people say that books make a great escape from reality. Let’s go!