I try to always have a “mindless” project ready for road trips. Something I can work on while also playing co pilot, cruise director, waitress and busboy. When I finish one project I make sure I refill my little on-the-go bag so it is always ready.
One thing I usually have going is a dishcloth or hand towel. When my daughter moved into her new house recently I realized she didn’t have any hand towels. Since the movers wouldn’t arrive for 2 months I decided to make her a few. The first thing she needed was something close to the sink to dry off hands after washing. A few years ago I made a “Ribby Cloth” that quickly wraps around a handle to hang and I have been wanting to make a larger version so this was the perfect chance! Her kitchen has a lot of teal/turquoise so luckily I had some skeins of turquoise cotton on hand.
Watch for a new dishcloth, washcloth, hand towel or scrubbie pattern to be released each week. You can find them all on my “weekly wash” page.
XL Ribby Hand Towel
A downloadable pdf for this pattern will be available soon.
Materials & Details
- Yarn: Lily Sugar N Cream worsted weight 100% cotton yarn in choice of colors. Approximately 300 yards.
- Crochet Hook: I (5.5mm)
- Miscellaneous: yarn needle to weave in ends
- Gauge: not necessary for this project
- Measurement: 10″ wide x 26″ long. Opening is 3-3.5″ long.
- With an I hook and ww cotton yarn, ch 86, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (85sts)
- Ch 2, turn, Hdc in same st, Hdc in BLO of each st until 1 st remains, Hdc in last st (regular hdc, not just blo).
- Repeat previous row 13 more times or until piece measures 6.5″ from starting edge.
- This step creates a “keyhole”/opening. Ch 2, turn, Hdc in same st, Hdc in BLO of next 33 sts, Hdc in next st, ch 15 sk 15, Hdc in next st, Hdc in BLO 33, Hdc in last st.
- Change to a matching or contrasting yarn if desired (this is totally optional. You can continue with same yarn.
Ch 2, turn, Hdc in same st, Hdc in BLO of each st until ch from previous row, hdc in each ch, Hdc in BLO of next 9 sts, Hdc in last st.
- Ch 2, turn, Hdc in same st, Hdc in BLO of each st until 1 st remains, Hdc in last st.
- Repeat previous row until piece measures the same distance from the keyhole as the first half.
- Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row.
- Finish off and weave in ends.
I hope you will enjoy making this cloth and will share a picture of your finished cloth. Please add #snappytots to your post when sharing online so I can see too. If I can add your picture of any of my patterns to my posts please send them by email. I would love to feature you.