For my mom’s birthday I wanted to make something special. Her favorite color is black. I wanted to add some color so I chose a bright color to represent each of her 5 grandkids. I finished the blanket with a round of white yarn to represent the love I have for my mom and forever peace in her life.
Many wonderful people helped test this blanket and a lighter weight granny style (pattern now available). Please see their beautiful samples after the pattern.
Worsted weight yarn (size 4), held 2 strands together or Bulky weight yarn (size 5).
Yardage using bulky weight yarn: approximately 800 yds
Hook: K hook
Size: 41” wide (with stripes running horizontally). Sample shown above is 61″ long.
Width of blanket can be adjusted. Starting number of chains needs to be divisible by 4 and then add 2 chs.
Instructions are written for main color (color A/black) and contrast color (color B/variety of brights) for the ridged rows in body of blanket.
Note: When changing yarn colors, work over yarn tails with first few stitches.
1. With K hook and yarn color A, ch 102, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in ch to end of row. (101sts)
2-5. Ch 1, turn, sc in same st, *sc, trc*, repeat until 2sts remain, sc 2.
6. Change to yarn color B. Ch 1, turn, sc in same st, *sc, trc*, repeat until 2sts remain, sc 2.
7. Ch 1, turn, sc in same st, *sc, trc*, repeat until 2sts remain, sc 2.
8. Change to yarn color A. Ch 2, turn, hdc in same st and in each st to end of row.
9-15. Ch 2, turn, hdc in same st and in each st to end of row.
Note: width of stripes between ridges can be adjusted. Keep an even number of rows so ridge bobbles will start on same side of blanket.
16. Change to yarn color B, ch 1, turn, sc in same st, *sc, trc*, repeat until 2sts remain, sc 2.
17. Ch 1, turn, sc in same st, *sc, trc*, repeat until 2sts remain, sc 2.
Repeat steps 8-17 until blanket is 3” shorter than desired length.
Finish length of blanket by repeating steps 2-5 with color A.
At this time your blanket should look similar to the photo above.
Optional Border: Attach desired color of yarn (similar weight yarn as blanket) to one corner of a long side of the blanket. With same size hook, *ch 1, sc evenly across long side of blanket. Ch 1, sc in same st, sc across short edge of blanket*, repeat once. Add additional rounds if desired.
Finish off and weave in all ends.
Most of the photos below are linked to facebook pages. I hope you will click the photos to visit these very creative ladies. Also, please leave comments. We LOVE those!