A couple of years ago I made some pot hangers for gifts. My father in law requested some bigger ones this year. The yarns I have used in the past have been discontinued so I searched for something new to try. Red Heart Nylon did the trick! I held 2 strands together throughout and I love how it turned out.
Yarn: Red Heart Nylon, 2 tubes
Crochet Hook: K
Miscellaneous: yarn needle, pot (sample is 12″ across top edge and 8″ high), carabiner (or similar item that opens)
Gauge: not important for this project
Holder Section (similar to a mesh bag)
1. With k hook and 2 strands nylon held together, start with a magic circle of 8 sts (or preferred method or starting a circle of 8 sc sts), pull closed and place marker for working in the round. (8sts)
2. 2sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. (16sts)
3. *hdc, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (24sts)
4. *hdc 2, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (32sts)
5. *hdc 3, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (40sts)
6. *hdc 4, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (48sts)
7. *hdc 5, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (56sts)
8. *hdc 6, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (64sts)
9. *hdc 7, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (72sts)
10. Sc, sl st. This is new beginning of the round. *ch 5, sk 2, sl st in next st*, repeat to end of round, working last sl st in first space created.
11. *ch 5, sl st in next space*, repeat until sides (open weave) is one inch shorter than desired height. Depending on yarn, the sides might stretch slightly. (24 spaces/loops)
Note: I repeated round #11 ten times.
12. Ch 1, 3sc in same loop, 3sc in each loop to end of round, sl st to join. (72sts)
13. This step creates the 3 openings for the hanger. Ch 1, sc in same st and next 21 sts, ch 3, sk 2, *sc 22, ch 3, sk 2*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join.
14. Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, working 3sc in each hanger opening, sl st to join. Finish off and weave in ends. Set aside.
This is made with loops at the end of each of the three hanger straps to slip over a carabiner hook or something similar that opens.
With K hook and 2 strands nylon held together, *ch 6, sl st in first ch to create a loop, ch 60, sl st in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across*, repeat for a total of 3 straps. Finish off and weave in ends.
Lay hanger piece on a flat surface and make sure it is not twisted. Pull one end through a hanger opening on the top edge of the holder. Fold end of hanger piece back against itself. With matching yarn and yarn needle sew layers together, approximately 2” from end.
Repeat for all three hanger pieces, making sure straps are not twisted or hanging weird.
Slip top loops over carabiner.
Insert a pot, fill with your favorite flowers and hang from a hook. Enjoy!
Pin To Save For Later
Share Your Projects
If you make one please share and add #snappytots so I can see too!