This week’s “wash” project has an extra purpose. Yes, it can be a scrubbie or soap saver, but the main reason behind it is to hold a round cold pack. In December our youngest son got the flu really bad and was down for almost two weeks. Several of those days were spent with a high fever so we kept rotating between some small ones we had. He doesn’t like them right next to his skin so we usually wrap them in a cloth. I had picked up some round ones at the dollar store once and decided they needed a holder.
Chill Buddy Ice Pack Holder
This pattern is available for free below.
An ad-free, downloadable version is also available to purchase from my Ravelry Shop.
Materials & Details
- Yarn: 100 yards black or choice of color in ww cotton yarn. Small amounts of orange and white yarn. 20 yards contrasting color for scarf.
- Crochet Hooks: H
- Miscellaneous Supplies: Yarn needle, 2 small black buttons for eyes, sewing needle, black thread, 3” round ice pack
- Measurements: 4”
This project is made by sewing two circles together, leaving the top edge open to insert a round ice pack. The penguin face and scarf are sewn on one side/circle and the other is left blank.
This could also be used as a scrubbie instead.
Circles (make 2)
1. With an H hook and black ww cotton yarn (or choice of color), start with a magic circle of 8 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 8 sc sts), sl st to join. (8sts)
2. Ch 1, 2sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. (16sts)
3. Ch 1, *sc, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (24sts) 2” across
4. Ch 1, *sc 3, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (30sts) 2.5” across
5. Ch1, *sc 4, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (36sts) 3” across
6. Ch 1, *sc 5, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (42sts) 3.5” across
7. Ch1, *sc 6, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (48sts) 4” across
8. Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. Finish off and weave in ends.
The eyes are actually one piece. Make one.
With an H hook and white yarn, ch 4, 2hdc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 2, sl st in same ch, 7hdc in next ch, ch 2, sl st in same ch, 4hdc in next ch (same as first ch worked into), sl st to join. Finish off, leaving a tail for sewing in place.
With yarn needle and yarn tail, sew eye piece to the center of the band.
Pupils: sew 2 black buttons on top of the white eye piece with a sewing needle and black thread.
1. Leave a yarn tail in the beginning for sewing in place. With an H hook and orange yarn, ch 5, sc2tog, sc2tog. (2sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog. Finish off and weave in end.
With a yarn needle and beginning yarn tail, sew beginning edge of the beak in place, overlapping bottom edge of eyes slightly.
1. With an H hook and yarn color of choice, ch 17, sc in the 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (16sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sc in the same st, sc 2, hdc 10, sc 3.
3. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row. Finish off, leaving a long tail for sewing the scarf in place.
Place the scarf on the penguin so the middle is under the tip of the beak. Use a yarn needle and the yarn tail to sew the short ends and middle of the scarf in place.
Assembly: With the penguin face towards you, attach matching or contrasting yarn to a stitch on the edge of one circle. See placement in photo at right. Sl st in each st of ONE layer across the top third of the circle, ending directly across the circle from the starting point.
Place the second circle underneath the circle with the face on it. Sl st in each st around to beginning point, working through both layers. Weave in ends.
With a yarn needle and matching yarn, reinforce the two points where the circles come together by take a few sts at each point.