This year I am posting a new pattern for a cloth of some kind each week. People have seemed to enjoy our first one of the year, “January Washcloth“. This week’s scrubbie is very similar, but made with 2 strands held together and a J hook. One end is left open so your hand can slide inside to make scrubbing easier.
Materials & Details
- Yarn: Scrubby yarn version – 75 yards ww cotton + 75 yards Red Heart Scrubby held together; Regular cotton version – 150 yards ww cotton (75 yards of 2 different colors).
- Crochet Hook: J (6mm)
- Notions: Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Size: 8.5″ x 5″ before folded; 4.5″ x 5″ finished size.
- Numbers at the beginning of each line may refer to steps and not indicate number of rows.
- Stitch count remains the same unless noted at end of row.
- If you have any questions about this pattern please contact [email protected].
- With a J hook and 2 strands cotton yarn, ch 25, sc in the 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (24sts)
- Ch 2, turn, hdc in the same st, *sk 1, (sc, dc in the next st)*, repeat until 1 st remains, hdc in the last st.
- From this point on, the sts are worked between the posts of the previous row instead of in the stitch. To do this, insert your hook just below the stitch. This creates a thicker, more dense fabric. To find the placement, go to the st as you normally would and insert the hook just below, between the posts.
Ch 2, turn, hdc between the first two posts, *sk 1, (sc, dc) between the next 2 posts*, repeat until 1 st remains, hdc between the last 2 posts. (24sts)
- Ch 2, turn, hdc between the first two posts, *sk 1, (sc, dc) between the next 2 posts*, repeat until 1 st remains, hdc between the last 2 posts. (24sts)
- Repeat previous row until cloth is 5″ from starting edge.
- Ch 1, turn, sc in the same st and in each st to end of row.
- Fold the cloth in half, matching the short ends. Ch 1, turn, sl st the 2 layers together across the top. Finish off and weave in end. With a yarn needle and matching yarn, sew the side layers together. Leave the bottom edge open to insert a hand.