My daughter loves the color teal so whenever I come across a yarn with teal in it I think of her. When I came across a new yarn from Red Heart in the color “Liquid Teal” I had to give it a try. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. At the time, I had created a few projects with a puff stitch and wanted to try a long circle scarf in the same puff stitch. I think it was the perfect choice for this yarn and I LOVE how it turned out! The colors are beautiful and distributed throughout the skein in a way that creates a gorgeous fabric.
As written, the scarf used almost exactly one skein of RHSS Color Block yarn in Liquid Teal. I think I had less than 12″ leftover.
This pattern is part of the 2021 Scarf and Hat of the Month cal with The Stitchin Mommy and Oombawka Design Crochet. Each month three scarf patterns are released and you get can get the patterns for free for a limited time.
The pattern for my scarf is available free below and you can get the other two scarf patterns at the following links:
Similar Patterns You Might Enjoy
Circle of Love Scarf Pattern
The pattern for this scarf is available for free below.
Materials & Details
- Yarn: 482 yards ww yarn. Sample yarn: One skein Red Heart Super Saver Color Block Liquid Teal
- Crochet Hook: J (6mm)
- Notions: Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Gauge: 4” = 6.5 rounds of puff clusters and 3 puff clusters
- Measurements: 8” tall x 38” wide measured flat.
- Numbers at the beginning of each line may refer to steps and not indicate the number of rows.
- The stitch count remains the same unless noted otherwise.
- If you have any questions about this pattern please contact [email protected].
- Help photos are available at the end of this pattern.
- The length of the scarf can be adjusted. The beginning circle of chains must be divisible by 4.
Special Stitch: Puff Stitch
There are a variety of puff stitches. Please follow the instructions below for how I work this particular puff. Because this is made with a heavier weight yarn, I did fewer repeats per puff than in my similar designs.
Puff Stitch: YO, insert hook in next st and pull up a loop, *YO, insert hook in same st and pull up a loop*, repeat once. There should be 7 loops on the hook. YO and carefully pull the yarn through all of the loops on the hook. Ch 1.
Tips for this special stitch:
- You will YO and pull up a loop 3 times and have 7 loops on your hook. Once you get the hang of it this goes pretty quickly.
- Pull your loops up a little higher than if working a regular hdc st. This will make it easier to work through the loops on the hook plus creates a puffier heart.
- I lost the loops a few times and had to redo the puff so don’t worry if that happens.
- The “ch 1” at the end finishes off the puff st.
1. With a J hook and worsted weight yarn, ch 224, sl st in the last chain from the hook to join into a circle. Make sure your chain is not twisted. (224sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sc in the same st and in each st to end of the round, sl st to join.
3. Ch 1, (puff, ch 1, puff) in the same st. Sk 3, *(puff, ch 1, puff) in the next st, sk 3*, repeat to end of the round, sl st in ch 1 space between beginning puffs to join. (56 puff clusters)
Note: remember to “ch 1” after each puff. After the first puff, you will have a ch 1 to finish that puff and another ch 1 between the two puffs.
4. Ch 1, (puff, ch 1, puff) in same ch 1 space,* (puff, ch 1, puff) in the next ch 1 space*, repeat to end of round, sl st in ch 1 space between beginning puffs to join.
5. Repeat the previous round until there are 12 puff rounds total (for a scarf that is 8” tall). Add or subtract the amount of rounds to adjust the height of the scarf.
6. After the scarf is as tall as you would like, ch 1, 2sc in the middle of the first puff, 2sc in the space after the puff, *2sc in the middle of the next puff, 2sc in the space after the next puff*, repeat to end of the round, sl st in the first st to join. (224sts) Finish off and weave in ends.
Fringe (optional): I think it would be cute to add fringe around one edge of this scarf. I might give it a try with a matching yarn. I will share pix if I do.