Do you know someone who needs a special hug or to be reminded they are loved? Wrap them in love with this quick and easy cowl that is full of love.
Last month I designed a “Puffy Heart Scarf” and I really like how it turned out. I then made a “Puffy Heart Beanie” to match and realized the “hearts” are more pronounced when worked in the round. So, of course, I had to make another scarf, this time in the round.
This time I used Red Heart Super Saver Chunky yarn to see if the hearts would be even puffier. It whipped up really quickly and I think it turned out cute. You could substitute any chunky weight yarn or even two strands of ww yarn.
Chunky Puff Heart Cowl Pattern
Materials & Details
- Yarn: 240 yards chunky yarn. Sample yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Chunky Red
- Crochet Hook: K (6.5mm)
- Notions: Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Gauge: 4” = 5 rounds of puff clusters and 2.75 puff clusters
- Measurements: 8” tall x 19” wide
Tips for this project
- Numbers at the beginning of each line may refer to steps and not indicate the number of rows.
- The stitch count remains the same unless noted otherwise.
- If you have any questions about this pattern please contact [email protected].
- Help photos are available at the end of this pattern.
Special Stitch: Puff Stitch
There are a variety of puff stitches. Please follow the instructions below for how I work this particular puff. Because this is made with a heavier weight yarn, I did fewer repeats per puff than in my similar designs.
Puff Stitch: YO, insert hook in next st and pull up a loop, *YO, insert hook in same st and pull up a loop*, repeat once. There should be 7 loops on the hook. YO and carefully pull the yarn through all of the loops on the hook. Ch 1.
Tips for this special stitch:
- You will YO and pull up a loop 3 times and have 7 loops on your hook. Once you get the hang of it this goes pretty quickly.
- Pull your loops up a little higher than if working a regular hdc st. This will make it easier to work through the loops on the hook plus creates a puffier heart.
- I lost the loops a few times and had to redo the puff so don’t worry if that happens.
- The “ch 1” at the end finishes off the puff st.
1. With a K hook and chunky yarn, ch 100, sl st in the last chain from the hook to join into a circle. Make sure your chain is not twisted. (100sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sc in the same st and in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
3. Ch 1, (puff, ch 1, puff) in the same st. Sk 3, *(puff, ch 1, puff) in the next st, sk 3*, repeat to end of round, sl st in ch 1 space between beginning puffs to join. (25 puff clusters)
Note: remember to “ch 1” after each puff. After the first puff, you will have a ch 1 to finish that puff and another ch 1 between the two puffs.
4. Ch 1, (puff, ch 1, puff) in same ch 1 space,* (puff, ch 1, puff) in the next ch 1 space*, repeat to end of round, sl st in ch 1 space between beginning puffs to join.
5. Repeat the previous round until there are 9 puff rounds total (for a cowl that is 8” tall). Add or subtract the amount of rounds to adjust the height of the cowl.
6. After cowl is as tall as you would like, ch 1, 2sc in the middle of the first puff, 2sc in the space after the puff, *2sc in the middle of the next puff, 2sc in the space after the next puff*, repeat to end of round, sl st in the first st to join. (100sts) Finish off and weave in ends.
Thank you for this lovely pattern. 🙂