As part of my goal to focus on different techniques this year I’ve been checking out “surface crochet”. I have used the basic slip stitch surface crochet, but while surfing I came across tons of amazing stitches based on this method and many wonderful patterns. Surface crochet is great for adding details, color and outlining. You can using it for “writing” on a project, making plaid and cleaning up the rough edges of graph crochet.
Tips and Tutorials
- Surface crochet overview by Amy Solovay
- Tutorial: Surface slip stitches, by Look at What I Made
- Tutorial: Slip stitch surface crochet, by Crochet Spot
- Video: Surface crochet ,by Moogly
- Video: Slit stitch surface crochet for details, by Nerdigurumi
Other forms of surface crochet
Wiggly crochet: LOVE this and the name too!
- Tutorials and links to free patterns, by Amy Solovay
- Wiggly Tutorial, by Barbara Smith
- Squiggly, Wiggly Crochet Tutorial, by Savory & Sweet Things
Free patterns using surface crochet
Mini Birthday Cupcakes, by NyanPon’s Knits and Crochet