My living room is decorated in an Americana theme so I am always on the lookout for really cute stars. When I saw this puff stitch version by “Truly Crochet” I knew I had to make one. It is so easy and is the perfect size for a coaster on my desk. I made mine from 100% cotton yarn so it would be absorbant.
Of course, it IS a wonderful ornament too and I LOVE the yarns the designer used for her samples. They are softer looking and the different shades really highlight the stitches. It is pretty in a variety of colors. Each star is approximately 3.5″ across, making these a great size for ornaments, dressing up packages and appliques too.
The Ornament Quest
Each Thursday in 2021, join me in making a different ornament so we can have a fun collection at the end of the year. All of the weekly ornaments will be free to view online. The links will be added to my “Calendar of Events” page for easy access.
- Weeks 1 & 2: The first two Thursdays of each month will feature a variety of ornaments.
- Week 3: Since there are many cute snowflakes I have chosen to feature a different one on the third Thursday of each month. These will be fun to hang in a window as well as on a tree.
- Week 4: I also like using ornaments as gift tags so on the fourth Thursday of each month I will feature an ornament that I think would be cute on a package. You can choose to do whatever you would like tho.
- Extra: Since there are TONS of really cute paid ornaments, I will be featuring those any time there is a fifth Thursday. Please remember patterns are not to be shared. Selling patterns is how designers make a living.
How the ornaments are chosen: I asked in our snappy facebook group, “Totally Snappy“, for people to share links to ornaments they had seen and wish to make. I also wrote down some of my favorite ornaments people had made in our last ornament swap.
Christmas Star Ornament Pattern
By Truly Crochet
The pattern for this ornament is available for free on the designer’s blog: Christmas Star Ornament
This is such a great star and the instructions are very easy to follow. I will be making more of these. I would have liked it to have a little more of an edge especially at the tips but that is just a personal choice. I did add a round of sl st to see if I would like that and it didn’t really add anything.
The list of materials below is from the designer’s pattern page. Please visit her page for the complete pattern. CLICK HERE for the free pattern on her blog.
- Size 3.5 inches – Approx
- Gauge N/A
- Hook 5mm – US H/8 or Any Hook
- Yarn Weight Any spare yarn
- Recommended Yarn Malabrigo Worsted
- Other Supplies
- Tapestry Needle – Weaving in ends