Ever since I designed my Abigail Cowl I have wanted to make a blanket with the same stitch sequence. So when my grand daughter, Lucy, was born I knew just the blanket to make.
I chose Bernat Blanket Stripes yarn in Grape Soda (2 skeins/ 440 yards) and Pow Purple (100 yards).
The pattern is written for a baby blanket. Instructions included to make any size blanket, from any weight yarn.
- Yarn: Two big skeins (440 yards) Bernat Blanket Stripes, 100 yards of contrasting yarn to finish border.
- Crochet Hooks: M/N 9mm
- Miscellaneous: Yarn needle for weaving in ends.
- Finished Measurements: 34” square or desired length and width.
- First stitch of each row is worked into the same stitch as the turning chain.
- Numbers at the beginning of each line may refer to steps and not indicate number of rows.
This pattern was written for specific yarn weights. When substituting yarns, please choose yarns of similar weight/thickness. Different yarns may produce a different outcome, including size and shape.
This could be made from any weight yarn and to any size. Beginning chain should be a multiple of 3. Each row count, after initial chain, will be divisible by 3 plus 2 (one st at the beginning and end of the row).
For a different weight yarn, start with a chain that is your desired width AND is divisible by 3.
Do the same thing for wider blankets.
The border adds approximately 3”.
Each row will have 71sts. Check stitch count occasionally to make sure you keep the correct amount.
1. With N hook and super bulky weight yarn (color of choice), ch 72, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (71sts)
2. Ch 2, turn, hdc in same st, sk 2, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st, repeat until 1 st remains, hdc in last st.
3. Ch 2, turn, hdc in same st, sk 2, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st, repeat until 1 st remains, hdc in last st.
4-5. Ch 1, turn, sc in same st, sc 69 in BLO, sc in last st.
Repeat steps 2-5 until 12 sections have been made, or more for a longer blanket.
Round 1: Ch 1, sc in same st, sc evenly along side of blanket, working (sc, ch 1, sc) in the corner, sc across bottom edge of blanket, working (sc, ch 1, sc) in the corner, sc evenly along side of blanket, working (sc, ch 1, sc) in the corner, sc across top edge of blanket. sc in last st.
Round 2: (2sc, ch 1, 2sc) in corner ch 1 space. Sc in each st around outer edge of blanket, working (2sc, ch 1, 2sc) in each corner.
Round 3: Repeat previous step. Finish off and weave in ends.
Please Pin To Save For Later