Every year I look forward to participating in the Crochet Cancer Challenge hosted by Sweet Potato 3. I am pleased to say this is the ninth year of the challenge and I think I have participated in almost every year.
It is heartwarming to see how many people get involved in this event, making beanies for those experiencing and affected by cancer. Scroll down for more information about this month-long event.
My Hat Contribution And Meaning
Each year, as October approaches, I think about this event and who I would like to honor with a special hat. Many of my crochet friends have been affected by cancer and sadly, we have lost a few.
This year our family was hit hard by this awful disease. In March my mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I knew then that I wanted to design this hat for her. She has had the most amazing, positive outlook and I truly believe it made a HUGE difference. She is doing really well thankfully!
I don’t think I have ever seen her wear a beanie so I wanted to design a hat I thought she might wear. This is the first year I have designed a cloche for this event.
I hope you will enjoy making this. My testers found it easy to make. There are two options to choose from, one with an added “band” section in case you want a change in texture and/or color.
White is the ribbon color for lung cancer, but I wanted to make her hat in her favorite color, purple.
Other Patterns You Might Enjoy
The following hats were designed for this event in previous years. These patterns are just $1 until 10/31/22.
Debbie’s Cloche Crochet Pattern
The pattern includes sizes for children ages 5-10 Years, Teen/Small Adult, and Adult. There are also 2 different options for the middle of the hat. One has a cluster stitch section that is a great place to add a pop of color.
Materials & Details
- Yarn: 150-200 yards worsted weight in choice of colors (acrylic or cotton). Solid color hat/ Purple Sample: 200 yards Red Heart Super Saver; Hat with band/Cream Sample: 150 yards Peaches & Cream Cotton in Linen, 50 yards Peaches & Cream Cotton in Lavender Meadow
- Crochet Hook: I (5.5mm)
- Miscellaneous: yarn needle
- Sizes: Child Large, Teen/Small Adult, Adult
The downloadable pdf crochet pattern for “Debbie’s Cloche” will be free from Oct. 14th – Oct. 31st. CLICK HERE to get the pattern from Ravelry (or click the graphic below). Use coupon code ChemoHat22 when checking out to get the pattern for free. PLEASE make sure the total changes to free before checking out.
Please remember that by downloading the hat pattern you are pledging to make at least one hat from it to donate to someone affected by cancer or to a treatment center.
The Crochet Cancer Challenge
For more information about the Crochet Cancer Challenge please visit the links below:
- What type of hat should I make? What Sizes? Where do I get the patterns? Click HERE.
- Yarn Recommendations to use for the hats, click HERE.
- Where should I donate my hats, click HERE.
- A fun start early project you can add to your hats, click HERE.
- Challenge others to join and more fun information, click HERE.