Let’s add even more color and whimsy to our gardens with Bigger solar flowers.
These solar lamps can be picked up at big box stores, garden centers and even dollar stores. I now have three sizes of these flowers (get all of the patterns in ONE handy, dandy downloadable file for just $2).
Looking for something similar?
- Original “Solar Fun Flowers” for round solar lamps.
- “Solar Minions” for tall, skinny solar lamps.
- Little Blooms for tall and skinny solar lamps: coming soon.
Want to save this for later?
- CLICK HERE to add it to your favorites on Ravelry.
- Purchase an ad-free, downloadable PDF of this pattern with all of the photos for only $2. Click HERE.
- Project Description: crocheted flowers to slip over large solar lamps.
- Skill Level: Basic crochet skills are needed and must be able to read a crochet pattern.
- Completion Time (how long it takes the designer to make one): 1 hour
Materials and Details
Yarn: small amounts of acrylic worsted weight yarn in 2 colors. Samples were made from Red Heart Super Saver yarn.
Crochet Hook: H
Miscellaneous: yarn needle; large, flat top solar lamp as shown (4” across top and 4” tall).
1. With H hook and orange yarn (or color of choice), ch 18, join with a sl st in last ch to form a
ring. Make sure ch is not twisted. (18sts)
2. Ch 4, * dc in next ch, ch 2*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first space made to join. (18
At this point, decide if you want to work in the SPACES or STITCHES from previous round. Here is the difference in what they look like:
Work in the spaces:
- Ch 4, *dc in next sp, ch 2*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first space of round. (18 spaces)
- 4-5. Repeat step 3.
Continue to step #6 under “both versions” below.
Work in the stitches:
- Ch 4, dc in next st, ch 2, *dc in next st, ch 2*, repeat to end of round, sl st in 2nd ch of beginning
chain 4 to join. (18 spaces)
- 4-5. Repeat step 3.
- Ch 1, work 2sc in each space to end of round, sl st to join. (36sts)
- Ch 2, hdc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
- Ch 2, *fphdc around next post, bphdc around next post*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join,
Finish off and weave in ends.
9. This round creates large petals. Attach yarn color of choice around a hdc post from round #7.
*ch 2, (dc, tr) around next post, (tr, dc) around next post, ch 2, sl st around next post*, repeat
to end of round. Depending on placement, you will have 10-11 petals. Finish off and weave in ends.
Slip over bulb part of solar lamp, with petals toward bottom.
I hope you enjoyed making this quick and easy project. I would love to see your creations. Please add your project to Ravelry and/or share online and include #snappytots.
Thanks for crocheting with me!
Please follow Snappy Tots on your favorites social media sites for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun.
Check out my shop for almost 500 patterns!
Stay Up to Date with all things Snappy by receiving our weekly newsletter (starting soon!)
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please