Ever have those days when you want to hide your hair? Lately I have had lots of them. I usually stick my hair in a ponytail and through a ball cap. I do love my “Saturday Hat“, but it was kidnapped by my daughter.
I decided it was time to make another hat just for me. One that my hair could fit up in to keep my neck cool in the summer and hide the fact that I didn’t do anything with it would be great!
Have you tried Boutique Treasure Yarn by Red Heart Yarns? I LOVE it! It is soft, glides nicely on the hook and the color combinations are amazing. I used Watercolors and it is even more stunning in person. It is reasonably priced at around $6.00 a skein. Don’t forget to take your coupons (or use the phone app!)
Hide Your Hair Slouchy Beanie
Click HERE to add this to your Ravelry library. Thank you!
Yarn: One skein Red Heart Boutique yarn. Sample was made with Watercolors. It used exactly one skein so if you would like to make it longer than mine or add an embellishment (flower, heart, bow) with the same yarn, you will need part of another skein.
Crochet Hook: I, J
Miscellaneous: yarn needle
This pattern has been updated for a better fit.
Directions for Teen/Adult size – ONE color:
Note: Starting on round 3, work stitches in the space between stitches in previous round.
- With J hook and yarn, start with a magic circle of 9 dc sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 9 dc sts), do not join. Place a marker and work in continuous rounds.
- 2dc in each st to end of round. (18sts)
- See “note” above. 2dc in next space, dc in next space, repeat to end of round. (27sts)
- 2dc in next space, dc in each of next 2 spaces, repeat to end of round. (36sts)
- 2dc in next space, dc in each of next 3 spaces, repeat to end of round. (45sts)
- 2dc in next space, dc in each of next 4 spaces, repeat to end of round. (54sts)
- 2dc in next space, dc in each of next 5 spaces, repeat to end of round. (63sts)
- 2dc in next space, dc in each of next 6 spaces, repeat to end of round. (72sts)
- 2dc in next space, dc in each of next 7 spaces, repeat to end of round. (80sts)
- sk one space, 2dc in next space (dc cluster made), repeat to end of round. (81sts)
11-14. 2dc between each dc cluster from previous round, forming a V shape. (40 clusters)
Note: Add more rounds for a “longer” slouchy part of the hat. If you have lots of hair you might want more room to hide it all.
- This step starts the “band” around the bottom of the hat. Change to an I hook. 2sc in middle of V st, repeat to end of round.
- sc2tog, sc 6, repeat to end of round. (70 sts)
- sc in next st, hdc in next st, repeat to end of round.
- If a more snug bottom band is desired, work this round. If not, skip to #19. sc2tog, sc 12, repeat to end of round. (65sts)
19-20. sc in next st, hdc in next st, repeat to end of round.
Finish off and weave in ends.
Add embellishments as desired. Here are some that would be cute:
Common Crochet Abbreviations
Ch – chain Sl st – slip stitch
St – stitch Hdc – half double crochet
Sp – space; sps – spaces Dc – double crochet
Sc – single crochet Trc –treble/triple crochet
** – repeat instructions between, as many times as indicated
This pattern is copyrighted to snappy tots and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Visit Snappy Tots on facebook for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun. If you enjoyed this pattern, please check out the complete line of Snappy patterns.