Summer will be here soon and time for fun little bags, water bottle holders and a place to store sunglasses and cell phones. This little pocket bag measures 6.5″ tall by 4.5″ wide and was designed to match my “Sweet Treats Tote Bag”. The handle unbuttons to wrap around the tote’s handle.
Little Sweet Treats Pocket Bag
Yarn: Worsted weight yarn. Red Heart With Love in Holly Berry, White, Blue Hawaii and Khaki
Miscellaneous: one blue 3/4″ button, sewing needle and blue thread, yarn needle
Crochet Hook: H (5mm)
This project uses the FPDC (front post double crochet) stitch. Here is a great video on post stitches from Moogly.
With H hook and red yarn, start with a magic circle of 12 hdc sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 12 hdc sts). Sl st to join and pull closed.
- Ch 2, FPDC around post, directly below beginning chain (referred to as “same post” from now on.) See photo, below left, hdc in next st, FPDC around same post, repeat to end of round, sl st in top of first post to join (see arrow in photo, below right). (24 posts)
2. Ch 2, FPDC around same post, FPDC around next post, hdc in next st, FPDC around same post, FPDC, repeat to end of round, sl st in top of first post to join.(36 posts)
- Ch 2, FPDC around next 2 posts, hdc in next st, FPDC around next 2 posts, repeat to end of round, slip st to join. (36 posts)
- Repeat previous round until bag measures 3″ from starting edge. Change to white yarn and continue to repeat round 3 until WHITE section measures 2″. Change to blue yarn and continue to repeat round 3 until BLUE section measures 1.5″.
- Ch 2, hdc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
- Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. Finish off and weave in ends.
Finished length from end to end: 10.5”
- With H hook and brown yarn, ch 36, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (35sts)
Ch 2, turn, dc in each st to end of row.
Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row. Finish off and weave in ends.
Lay one end of handle INSIDE bag with bottom edge of handle approximately 1″ below top edge of bag. With BLUE yarn and yarn needle, sew handle to bag. With blue thread and sewing needle, sew button on the INSIDE of the bag, directly across from sewn on handle. The dc row of the handle will slip over the button.
If you have enjoyed this project, please check out the large tote bag, “Sweet Treats Tote” made to match! It is the perfect size for the beach, crochet projects, groceries and toys. It is made from a rib stitch, making it strong enough to even hold library books.