My two oldest kids burn easily in a short amount of time. We always needed sunscreen close when they were playing tons of soccer. A large bottle seemed to always leak all over their bags. I started making these little holders to clip onto their bags or my purse. They make great teacher gifts too.
Block the Sun Holder
This is made to hold triangle shaped sunscreen, lotion or antibacterial handwash. A great, quick project, perfect for gifts.
Yarn: Worsted weight in choice of color
Miscellaneous: key ring or alligator clip as shown, small button, sewing needle and thread, tube of sunscreen/lotion
Note: slightly snip the corners of the EXTRA plastic. This makes it easier to slide the tube into the holder. Be careful not to cut a hole in the tube.
1. With H hook and yarn color of choice, ch 12. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across, 2sc in last
stitch. Working in back loops of chain, 2sc in next st, sc in each st to end of row. Continue to sc
in each stitch, working in a spiral until piece measures 4” from starting edge. Place marker. (23sts)
2. For alligator clasp only: This step creates a slit for a clasp similar to the one in the photo with variegated yarn. Sc2tog, sc in the next 3, ch 2, sk 2, sc in the next 3, sc2tog, sc in each st to marker. Sc in each st to end of round, with 2sc in the chain space. Skip to flap.
For other clasps: Sc2tog, sc 9, sc2tog, sc 10. (21sts) Sc in each st to end of round until piece is long enough for the tube to fit inside and is even with the top.
1. Ch 1, turn, sc 10. (10sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc 6, sc2tog. (8sts)
3. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc 4, sc2tog. (6sts)
4. *Sc across, ch 1, turn*, repeat until flap is desired length. Place tube inside and make sure the flap covers and extends past at least 1/2″. End on the wrong side (inside of flap).
5. Sc 2, ch 3, sk 2, sc 2.
6. Ch 1, turn, sc, sk 1, sc 3 in chain space, sk 1, sl st, finish off.
Insert the tube. Fold the flap over and mark where the button needs to be. Using a sewing needle and thread, sew the button in place.
Slip a key ring through a couple stitches or attach the alligator clip through the slit.
Common Crochet Abbreviations Ch – chain Sl st – slip stitch St – stitch Hdc – half double crochet Sp – space; sps – spaces Dc – double crochet Sc – single crochet Trc –treble/triple crochet ** – repeat instructions between, as many times as indicated
This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots 2014 and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Visit Snappy Tots on facebook for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun. If you enjoyed this pattern, please check out the complete line of Snappy patterns at https://shop.snappy-tots.com
Want to print a copy or save the file? Click the “print friendly” button at the bottom of this post.