My two oldest kids burn easily in a short amount of time. We always needed sunscreen close when they were playing tons of soccer. A large bottle seemed to always leak all over their bags. I started making these little holders to clip onto their bags or my purse. They make great teacher gifts too.
Block the Sun Holder
This is made to hold triangle shaped sunscreen, lotion or antibacterial handwash. A great, quick project, perfect for gifts.
Yarn: Worsted weight in choice of color
Miscellaneous: key ring or alligator clip as shown, small button, sewing needle and thread, tube of sunscreen/lotion
Note: slightly snip the corners of the EXTRA plastic. This makes it easier to slide the tube into the holder. Be careful not to cut a hole in the tube.
1. With H hook and yarn color of choice, ch 12. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across, 2sc in last
stitch. Working in back loops of chain, 2sc in next st, sc in each st to end of row. Continue to sc
in each stitch, working in a spiral until piece measures 4” from starting edge. Place marker. (23sts)
- For alligator clasp only: This step creates a slit for a clasp similar to the one in the photo with variegated yarn. Sc2tog, sc in the next 3, ch 2, sk 2, sc in the next 3, sc2tog, sc in each st to marker. Sc in each st to end of round, with 2sc in the chain space. Skip to flap.
For other clasps: Sc2tog, sc 9, sc2tog, sc 10. (21sts) Sc in each st to end of round until piece is long enough for the tube to fit inside and is even with the top.
1. Ch 1, turn, sc 10. (10sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc 6, sc2tog. (8sts)
3. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc 4, sc2tog. (6sts)
4. Sc across, ch 1, turn, repeat until flap is desired length. Place tube inside and make sure the flap covers and extends past at least 1/2″. End on the wrong side (inside of flap).
5. Sc 2, ch 3, sk 2, sc 2.
6. Ch 1, turn, sc, sk 1, sc 3 in chain space, sk 1, sl st, finish off.
Insert the tube. Fold the flap over and mark where the button needs to be. Using a sewing needle and thread, sew the button in place.
Slip a key ring through a couple stitches or attach the alligator clip through the slit.