Snowmen are my favorite. They are so happy and always warm my heart. I designed this little guy for our first ornament of the “Countdown to Christmas Calendar” crochet along. He would also be cute hung on a regular Christmas tree, on packages or as decorations.
Scroll down to view the free pattern or purchase an ad-free, downloadable PDF version from my Ravelry Shop or new Snappy Shop for a small fee.
SPECIAL: The pattern pdf is FREE during our ornament event. Click one of the links above.
For Ravelry, use coupon code: free4event when checking out.
Itty Bitty Snowman
Click HERE to add this pattern to your Ravelry favorites.
Yarn: Worsted weight yarn in white, orange, red and choice of color for scarf/hat
Crochet Hooks: G
Miscellaneous: yarn needle, size 10 black crochet cotton or black embroidery floss for mouth and eyes, small amount of stuffing, 8″ of ribbon for hanger (optional)
Size: 3” tall
Directions for Snowman
1. With G hook and white yarn, start with a magic circle of 8 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 8 sts), place marker for working in the round. (8sts)
2. *sc, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (12sts)
3. *sc 2, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (16sts)
4. *2sc in next st, sc 7*, repeat once. (18sts)
5. *2sc in next st, sc 8*, repeat once.(20sts)
6-8. Sc in each st to end of round.
9. *sc2tog, sc 2*, repeat to end of round. (15sts)
Note: it is easiest to apply the face now. With orange yarn and yarn needle, stitch nose in place. With black yarn or thread and yarn needle, stitch eyes and mouth in place. If preferred, a small orange button and tiny black buttons could be used to create the face.
10. Flatten snowman with face on top. Place a marker at each side. Sc in each st to first mark, 2sc in next st, sc in each st to next marker, 2sc in next st. (17sts)
11. *Sc in each st to first mark, 2sc in next st, sc in each st to next marker, 2sc in next st*, repeat until there are 31sts.
12-13. Sc in each st to end of round. (31sts)
14. Sc, *sc2tog, sc 4*, repeat to end of round. (26sts) Finish off, leaving a tail for sewing bottom seam.
Flatten snowman so face is centered on one side. With red yarn and yarn needle, stitch heart in place. Stuff snowman. With yarn needle and yarn tail, sew bottom edges together.
Directions for Scarf
1. With G hook and yarn color of choice, ch 50, sc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across. (48sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, sl st in each st to end of row. Finish off and weave in ends.
Wrap scarf around neck of snowman and tie a loose knot.
Directions for Hat
1. With G hook and yarn color of choice, ch 15. Sl st in last chain to join in a circle. Make sure chain isn’t twisted.
2-4. Ch 2, hdc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
Finish off, leaving a tail for sewing top seam closed. Flatten hat. With yarn needle and yarn tail, sew edges together.
Top Braids (make 2): Cut 3 strands of yarn, 6″ long. Pull one set of ends through a top corner of the hat. Braid tightly. Tie a knot near the end of the braid. Trim ends and pull ends apart to fray. Repeat for other top corner of hat.
Place hat on snowman’s head. Pull the hat down further in the back. With matching yarn and yarn needle, sew bottom edge of hat to the snowman.
Hanger: With G hook and yarn color of choice, sl st in a st at top of hat. Ch 10, sl st in same st on hat. Finish off and weave in ends.
[…] Itty Bitty Snowman Ornament by Snappy Tots – He would also be cute hung on a regular Christmas tree, on packages or as decorations. […]