One of my favorite hats to make is my Jellybean Slouch hat, so I decided to make a messy bun /ponytail version. I hope you will enjoy making these.
My daughter in law loves the hat! She looks so cute in it.
Click HERE to add this to your Ravelry favorites.
Yarn: Worsted weight yarn
Sample: Red Heart Soft Icy Pond and Off White
Crochet Hooks: I
Miscellaneous: yarn needle
Gauge: 4″ = 13 hdc and 9 rounds
Note: Please look over ENTIRE pattern before beginning. Extra photos are at end of pattern.Tips for both sizes:
- Depending on how you crochet, it may appear the texture will be on the inside of the hat. Before ribbed band is added the hat will be turned right side out if needed.
- The texture of this hat is created by alternating trc and sc stitches. Because there are an odd number of sts when texture is started, the repeating pattern will be staggered.
- Hat is worked from top to bottom, with an opening at the top for a ponytail or bun. For a regular top beanie, try the Jellybean Slouch.
Directions for teen/adult size hat
Note: pattern is written for a hat using one color for the main part of the hat and a contrasting/complimentary color for the bottom band. For striped hats change color at the end of rounds as desired.
1. With I hook and worsted weight yarn, ch 36. Sl st in last ch from hook to join in a circle. Make sure the chain is not twisted. (36sts)
2. Ch 2, *hdc 2, 2hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (48sts)
3. Ch 2, *FPHDC around next post, BPHDC around next post, FPHDC around next post, (BPHDC, FPHDC) around next post, BPHDC around next post, FPHDC around next post, BPHDC around next post, (FPHDC, BPHDC) around next post*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (60sts)
At this point, ch 1 and turn the hat inside out to work from the wrong side of the hat. This way the texture will be on right side of the hat when finished.
4. Place a marker for working in the round. 2sc in next st. *trc in next st, sc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (61sts)
5. *trc in next st, sc in next st*, repeat until hat measures 5” from starting edge of hat.
6. This step starts the ribbed edge. Sc in next st, sl st in next st. Ch 2, turn. By turning, the nubby texture will be on the right side of the hat. This is now the beginning of the round. Hdc2tog, hdc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. (60sts)
7-9. Ch 2, *FPDC, BPDC*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join.
Finish off and weave in ends.
Common Crochet Abbreviations
Ch – chain Sl st – slip stitch
St – stitch Hdc – half double crochet
Sp – space; sps – spaces Dc – double crochet
Sc – single crochet Trc –treble/triple crochet
** – repeat instructions between, as many times as indicated
This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Visit Snappy Tots on facebook for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun. If you enjoyed this pattern, please check out the complete line of Snappy patterns at https://shop.snappy-tots.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Are you on Ravelry? Please add the following patterns to your library and click the heart on the listing if you enjoy the patterns.