A few years ago a friend of mine fell and broke her hip. Several people sent her “square cards” (card with a crocheted square inside) to wish her well and also give a fun project of making a blanket full of love from friends. I wanted something unique and special for her so I designed a 6″ square. She loved it.
Margaret’s Blooming Square Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Worsted weight yarn in choice of colors. Directions are written using 3 shades of purple, as shown in sample above.
- Crochet Hook: G
- Miscellaneous: yarn needle
Directions – 6” square
Note: the center will start to bulge and ripple. It all flattens out when petals are added after square base is finished.
1. With a G hook and light purple yarn, start with a magic circle of 6 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 6 sc sts), join and pull closed. (6sts)
2. Ch 1, 2sc in each stitch to end of round, sl st to join. (12sts)
3. Ch 1, 2sc in each stitch to end of round, sl st to join. (24sts)
4. *Ch 5, sk 1, sl st in next st*, repeat to end of round. (12 loops)
5. Sl st in the first loop, *ch 5, sl st in next ch 5 loop*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first st to join.
6. Change to medium purple yarn. *Ch 3, sc in first loop, ch 3, sc in sl st between loops from previous round*, repeat to end of round. Note: round ends with last sc in base of beginning ch 3. (24 loops)
7. Ch 1, (sc, dc, sc) in first loop, sc in next loop, *(sc, dc, sc) in next loop, sc in next loop*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (48sts)
8. Sl st 2. Change to dark purple. *Ch 4, sl st in BLO of dc/point from previous round*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first loop.
9. *5sc around bar from previous round*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (60sts)
10. Ch 2, dc in next st, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in next st (to form corner), *dc, hdc 2, sc 8, hdc 2, dc, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in next st (to form corner)*, repeat twice, dc, hdc 2, sc 8, hdc, sl st in top of beginning ch 2 to join. (80sts, including “ch 2” on each corner)
11. Note: this round can be done 2 different ways:
Option 1: Sl st 3,* 4sc in corner space, sc 17*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (84sts)
Option 2: Sl st 3, *4sc in corner space, sc 18*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (88sts)
Finish off and weave in ends.
Petals: Attach medium purple around a peak as shown in photo.
*(sc, hdc) in next st, 3dc in next st, (hdc, sc) in next st, sl st around peak*, repeat to end of round, ending with a sl st in beginning st to join.
Beautiful samples from my amazingly talented testers: