It is teacher appreciation week at my son’s school and I decorated the speech teacher’s door with minions. As I was making the “Solar Fun” flower and apple covers I thought it would be fun to make minions for teacher gifts too. I found tall, skinny shaped solar lamps at Walmart and they worked perfectly. I hope you will enjoy these too.
Are you on Ravelry? Please add the “Solar Minions” pattern to your library and click the heart on the listing if you enjoyed the pattern.
Yarn: small amounts of cotton or acrylic worsted weight yarn in yellow, blue, white, black and small amount of grey.
Crochet Hook: H
Miscellaneous: yarn needle; tall, skinny solar lamp as shown below (top part of lamp is 6″ circumference and approximately 3.25″ tall)
Adjust pattern for larger, similar bulbs by using an I or J hook and repeating last round.
1. With H hook and yellow yarn, ch 19, join with a sl st in last ch to form a ring. Make sure ch is not twisted.
2. *sc 5, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (21sts)
3. Ch 1. Working in BLO, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
4. Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
5. Change to black yarn. Ch 1. Working in FLO, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
6. Change to yellow yarn. Ch 1. Working in BLO, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
7-9. Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
10. Change to blue yarn. Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
11. Ch 5, *sk 2 ch, dc in next ch, ch 2*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first space made to join. (7 spaces created)
12. Ch 5, dc in first sp, *ch 2, dc in next sp*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first space made to join (do NOT ch 2 after last dc). (7 spaces created)
13. Ch 1, 2sc in each space to end of round, sc in top of last dc, sl st to join. (16sts)
14. Ch 2, *hdc 6, hdc2tog*, repeat once, sl st to join. (14sts)
15. Change to black yarn. Ch 2, *fphdc 3, 2fphdc around next post*, repeat two more times, fphdc 2, sl st to join. (17sts)
Finish off and weave in ends.
Eyes (make 1 or two): With white yarn and H hook make a magic circle of 6 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 6 sc sts), join and pull closed. Ch 1, 2sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. Change to grey yarn. Ch 1, *sc, 2sc in next st*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. Finish off leaving a tail for sewing in place.
With yarn needle and yarn tail, sew eye (s) in place overlapping the black stripe.
With yarn needle and black yarn, stitch pupil in place.
Mouth is stitched in place with black embroidery floss. Black yarn could also be used.
Tie short pieces around a few stitches at top for hair.
Common Crochet Abbreviations
Ch – chain Sl st – slip stitch
St – stitch Hdc – half double crochet
Sp – space; sps – spaces Dc – double crochet
Sc – single crochet Trc –treble/triple crochet
** – repeat instructions between, as many times as indicated
This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Get the latest snappiness!