Last Valentine’s Day I made a long tail baby hat for a friend’s new baby. The Jazlyn Hat has been really popular and many have asked for a regular beanie version in multiple sizes. “Jake’s Beanie” includes the same layered rounds I really love.
Click HERE to add this pattern to your Ravelry library and favorites. THANKS!
Yarn: worsted weight yarn in choice of colors
Crochet Hook: I
Miscellaneous: yarn needle
Gauge 4″ = 13 hdc and 9 rounds
Sizes: newborn to adult
FPDC – Front post double crochet; Click HERE for how to video from Red Heart yarns.
BPHDC – Back post half double crochet; Click HERE for how to video from Bob Wilson 123.
Note: these videos demonstrate both front and back post stitches. We will only be using one (front OR back) per round.
• Rounds start with 8 increases each to form a flatter top, and then switch to 6 increases each starting on round #3.
• Number of layered rounds (stripes in main photo) will vary depending on the size hat you make.
Note: All sizes start the same, and then skip to “body” section when increase round for desired size has been completed.
With I hook and red yarn (or choice of color), start with a magic circle of 8 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 8 sc sts). Place marker to keep track of beginning of round.
1. 2sc in each stitch to end of round. (16sts)
2. hdc, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (24sts)
3. hdc 3, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (30sts)
Is your stitch count off? Did you read the “help tips” in the box above?
4. hdc 4, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (36sts) 3-6 mths, 3.5” across
5. hdc 5, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (42sts) 6-12 mths, 4.25” across
6. hdc 6, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (48sts) 12-24 mths, 5” across
7. hdc 7, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (54sts) Child/preteen, 5.75” across
8. hdc 8, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (60sts) Teen/Adult, 6.5” across
9. hdc 9, 2 hdc in next st, repeat to end of round. (66sts) Large adult, 7.25” across
Hdc in each st around until hat measures 3” for up to 24 mths, 4” for child/preteen and 4.5” for teen-large adult sizes. Note: to measure, place hat on a flat surface and measure from starting point (top) to current edge.
Layered Rounds – all sizes
1. Up until this point, the hat has been worked in continuous rounds to avoid a “seam”. Now we need to start joining at the end of each round for the color changes. Hdc in next st, sc in next st, sl st in next st. This is our new starting point. Change to white yarn (or choice of color). Ch 2, FPDC in each st to end of round, sl st to join. (stitch count remains the same)
2. Ch 2, BPHDC around each post to end of round, sl st to join.
3. Change to lime green yarn (or choice of color). Ch 2, FPDC around each post to end of round, sl st to join.
4. Ch 2, BPHDC around each post to end of round, sl st to join.
5. Change to red yarn (or choice of color). Ch 2, FPDC around each post to end of round, sl st to join.
6. Ch 2, BPHDC around each post to end of round, sl st to join.
Measure hat. Continue repeating steps 5-6, changing color every other round (on step 5), until hat is desired length. Finish with step #7.
7. Ch 1, sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. Finish off and weave in all ends.
I make my own pompoms, but you could also use a pompom maker.
To make your own, hold 2-3 strands of yarn. Spread your fingers apart as wide as possible. Wrap the strands of yarn around the widest part of your fingers 50 times (40 times for 3 strands). This will create a thick pompom. Carefully slide the yarn off your hand. Wrap a matching piece of yarn around the center of the strands, tie a knot and pull secure. Wrap around and knot again. Hold onto this yarn. Cut the remaining strands and trim as desired.
Pull one end of the center yarn through the tip of the hat. Tie a secure knot. Pull through the hat again and tie another knot.
Please click the share buttons below to spread the word about this free pattern.
This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Visit Snappy Tots on facebook for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun. If you enjoyed this pattern, please check out the complete line of Snappy patterns.