I like dish cloths that are thick and won’t fall apart from some good scrubbing. This past week I was playing around with stitch combos for a hooded scarf trim (I wanted something kind of thick for the edge) and created a twisted hdc. I am not saying I invented a new stitch since every combo of crochet stitches has been done before. This is just something I haven’t done or seen before.
YO and insert hook in next st, pull up a loop.
YO and insert hook in previous st (crossing in front of st). This is worked into the same st as the last st created. See arrow in photo below.
Pull up a loop. There should now be 5 loops on the hook.
YO and pull through all loops on hook. Stitch complete.
Here’s a project to practice the stitch. I hope you will enjoy this simple, durable cloth.
by Heidi Yates
Cotton yarn in choice of color (s)
Crochet Hook: I
Yarn needle for weaving in ends.
Special Stitch: Twisted Hdc – YO and insert hook in next st, pull up a loop, YO and insert hook in previous st (crossing in front of st), pull up a loop (5 loops on hook), YO and pull through all loops on hook. See photos below.
Change colors as desired.
- With I hook and yarn, ch 27, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (26sts)
- Ch 1, turn, hdc in same st, twisted hdc (see “special stitches above”) in each st until 1 st remains, hdc in last st.
- Repeat previous step for 14 rows.
- This step is worked around outer edge. Ch 1, sc in same st, pivot piece to work along side of cloth. Sc evenly down side. (sc, ch 1, sc) in corner. Sc in each st across bottom edge of cloth. (sc, ch 1, sc) in corner. Sc evenly up side. (sc, ch 1, sc) in corner. Sc in each st across top edge of cloth, sl st to join.
- Ch 1, *sl st in next st, ch 1*, repeat around cloth, sl st in beginning ch 1 to join. Finish off and weave in ends.
As part of my quest to work on gifts throughout the year I will be sharing a different scrubbie pattern each week throughout 2015. See all of the patterns HERE.
All featured scrubbie patterns will be on the “DIY cleaning & Organizing” Board.
Get the latest snappiness!