A few weeks ago I received an amazing box in the mail from Red Heart Yarns. It had one of their awesome (and large) tote bags, plus a variety of yarns. One of which was a skein of their new Red Heart Boutique Swanky Yarn. I knew right away I wanted to make a little bag that would be great for weddings and special occasions. Large enough to hold everything my daughter might need for her big day. While the yarn takes a little more concentration to work with, the finished look is totally worth it. This bag is also pretty made from Red Heart Boutique Treasure, Unforgettable or your choice of yarns. …and guess what? It is a super fun hat too!
Swanky Elegance Bag
Want to print a copy or save the file? Click the “print friendly” button at the bottom of this post.
Yarn: Worsted weight
Sample was made with Red Heart Swanky Yarn
Crochet Hooks: G, H
Miscellaneous: yarn needle
Gauge: Not important for this project
Size: 8×8″ when measured flat
Help Tip: Rounds start with 8 increases each to form a flatter top, and then switch to 6 increases each starting on round #3.
With H hook yarn color of choice, start with a magic circle of 8 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 8 sc sts). Place marker to keep track of beginning of round.
1. 2hdc in each stitch around (16sts).
2. *hdc, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (24sts)
3. *hdc 3, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (30sts)
4. *hdc 4, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (36sts)
5. *hdc 5, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (42sts)
6. *hdc 6, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (48sts)
7. *hdc 7, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (54sts)
8. *hdc 8, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (60sts)
9. *hdc 9, 2 hdc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (66sts)
10. (sc, 2dc) in next st, *sk 2, (sc, 2dc) in next st, repeat until 2 sts remain, sk 2, sl st in first sc. (66sts)
11. Ch 1, turn, 2dc in same st, *sk 2, (sc, 2dc) in next st, repeat until 2 sts remain, sk 2, sl st in ch 1 from beginning of round.
12-19. Repeat previous round.
20-24. Ch 2, hdc in same st and in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
25. Ch 2, *hdc 9, hdc2tog*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (60sts)
26. Ch 2, *hdc 8, hdc2tog*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. (54sts)
27. Ch 2, dc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. The drawstrings will be worked in and out of the
post spaces of this round.
28. *ch 3, hdc in next st, sl st in next st*, repeat to end of round. Round ends with a full repeat,
working a sl st in the last st. Finish off and weave in ends.
Handle: This is created with 2 drawstrings.
Make 2: With G hook and yarn color of choice, create a chain 39” long. Finish off.
Thread the end of one drawstring through a large yarn needle or use a small hook to pull under 2 and over 2 posts of dc round. Continue until back to beginning. The second drawstring is also woven through the dc round. Start over 1 post, then *under 2, over 2*, repeat back to beginning. By
weaving the drawstrings this way the bag will be easier to close. Tie the ends of each drawstring
together separately to form a circle with each one. Pull the loops until even on one side.
Flower (optional): This is made to attach to the bag or handle.
1. With H hook and yarn color of choice, start with a magic circle of 5 sts (or preferred
method for starting a circle of 5 sc sts), sl st to join. (5sts)
2. Ch 1, 2sc in each st to end of round, sl st to join. (10sts)
3. *ch 3, hdc in same st, sl st in next st*, repeat to end of round.
4. Do not ch 1. *(sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc) in ch 3 loop from previous round, sl st in
between loops*, repeat to end of round. Finish off, leaving a tail for sewing flower
Common Crochet Abbreviations Ch – chain Sl st – slip stitch St – stitch Hdc – half double crochet Sp – space; sps – spaces Dc – double crochet Sc – single crochet Trc –treble/triple crochet ** – repeat instructions between, as many times as indicated
This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots 2014 and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Visit Snappy Tots on facebook for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun. If you enjoyed this pattern, please check out the complete line of Snappy patterns at http://shop.snappy-tots.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Are you on Ravelry? Please add the “Swanky Elegance Bag” pattern to your library and click the heart on the listing if you enjoyed the pattern.