I thought these little hearts would be a cute container for candy, hair clips, erasers, rings, little toys, money and more. It is also the right size for a teddy bear to hug.
Every Valentine’s Day growing up my mom had a cute little gift waiting for us at breakfast. There is still time to whip these up.
They would be a nice gift year round too.
Looking for something similar?
Heart Pocket and Purse Pattern
- Project Description: 6″ heart pouch. Each heart is created by sewing two teardrop shapes. The two samples were started the same way.
- Skill Level: Basic crochet skills are needed and must be able to read a crochet pattern.
- Completion Time (how long it takes the designer to make one): 1 hour
Of course this time will vary, but hopefully gives an idea. I always like to know approximately how long to plan for a project.
Materials and Details
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Cherry, White, Rogue, Shocking Pink
Crochet Hook: H
Miscellaneous: yarn needle
Gauge: not needed for this project
Measurements: 6” wide x 4” tall
Heart – Make 2 for a single, flat heart. Make 4 for a heart pouch.
1. With an H hook and worsted weight yarn, ch 4, 2sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, 2sc in last ch from hook. (5sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, 2sc in same st, sc 3, 2sc in last st. (7sts)
3. Ch 1, turn, 2sc in same st, sc 5, 2sc in last st. (9sts)
4-5. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row.
6. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc 5, sc2tog. (7sts)
7. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row.
8. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc 3, sc2tog. (5sts)
9. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row.
10. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc, sc2tog. (3sts)
11. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row.
12. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc. (2sts)
13. Ch 1, turn, sc2tog.
14. Ch 1 and pivot to the left to work along the side of the heart. Sc evenly along the side of the heart until it starts to round (photo below left).
In the following steps, stitch placement will be referred to as “spots” since they will be worked into the side of sts and not actual sts.
15. Evenly repeat the following across the rounded top of the heart, *2sc in next spot, sc in next* (photo below middle).
16. Sc evenly along the side of the heart to the tip. Work 2sc in a spot as close to the tip as possible, sl st in next spot.
Finish off, leaving a long tail for seaming.
After two hearts are complete, lay one heart overlapping the side of the other heart ½”. With yarn tail and yarn needle, sew through both layers, from arrow to arrow in photo below.
If making a pouch, repeat for second set of hearts, then continue with “pouch” instructions below.
Plain Pouch (half and half sample): Stack hearts on top of each other, wrong sides together.
With yarn tail and yarn needle, sew outer edges together. Leave top edge, from arrow to arrow in photo below, unsewn.
Frilly Pouch With Handle: Stack hearts on top of each other, wrong sides together.
With H hook, attach white yarn at point A, through both hearts. Working counter clockwise from point A to B, sl st through both hearts. *Ch 3, sl st in next st*, repeat to point B.
From this point on, work into front heart only. *ch 3, sl st in next st*, repeat to beginning point, sl st in first st. Ch 3, turn to work across back heart. Sl st in next st, *ch 3, sl st in next st*, repeat across to point B. Finish off and weave in ends.
1. With an H hook and red yarn, ch 51, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (50sts)
2-3. Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to end of row.
4. Ch 1, turn, sl st in each st to end of row. Finish off, leaving a yarn tail for sewing to pouch.
Place one end of handle inside pouch. With yarn needle and yarn tail, sew approximately 1” of handle end to the inside of the bag. Repeat for other end.
Please follow Snappy Tots on your favorites social media sites for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun.
Check out my shop for almost 500 patterns!
Stay Up to Date with all things Snappy by receiving our weekly newsletter (starting soon!)
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please
I will see that quicker than in the comments below.
Items made from Snappy Tots’ patterns MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Please do not use any photos or text from this pattern online or elsewhere without written consent from Heidi Yates. This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates.