Last year, for Mother’s Day, I wanted something fun and unique to make for my mom. She has a lot of solar lamps in her yard so I bought a few new ones and made flower covers. These whip up quickly. They just slip over the round lamp (different styles coming soon).
Since Teacher Appreciation Week is this week at my son’s school I made apple variations too.
Want to save this for later?
- CLICK HERE to add it to your favorites on Ravelry.
- Purchase an ad-free, downloadable PDF of this pattern with all of the photos for only $1. Click HERE.
Looking for something similar?
- New “Big Blooms” for larger, flat top solar lamps.
- “Solar Minions” for tall, skinny solar lamps.
- Little Blooms for tall and skinny solar lamps: coming soon.
Yarn: small amounts of cotton or acrylic worsted weight yarn in 1-3 colors
Crochet Hook: H
Miscellaneous: yarn needle; small, rounded solar lamp as shown below (bulb part is 7-8″ circumference and approximately 2″ tall)
Adjust pattern for larger round bulbs by using an I or J hook and repeating last round.
1. With H hook and orange yarn (or color of choice), ch 17, join with a sl st in last ch to form a
ring. Make sure ch is not twisted.
2. Ch 4, *sk 1 ch, dc in next ch, ch 2*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first space made to join. (9
3. Ch 5, dc in same sp, *ch 2, dc in next sp, ch 2, dc in next sp, ch 2, dc in same sp (this creates
2 dc in this space)*, repeat to end of round, sl st in first space of round. (14 spaces created)
4. Ch 1, 2sc in first sp, *ch 1, sc in next sp, ch 1, 2sc in next sp*, repeat until 1 sp remains, ch 1,
sc in last sp, sl st to join. (35sts, including chains)
5. Ch 1, *sc 9, sc2tog*, repeat until 2 sts remain, sc 2, sl st to join. (32sts)
6. Work in BLO for this round. Ch 2, hdc in each st to end of round, sl st to join.
Note: for smaller bulbs it might fit better to decrease 3 sts on next round.
7. Ch 2, *fphdc, bphdc*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join.
8. Ch 2, *fphdc, bphdc*, repeat to end of round, sl st to join. Finish off and weave in ends.
9. This round create large petals. Attach yarn color of choice around a hdc post from round #6.
*ch 2, (dc, tr) around next post, (tr, dc) around next post, ch 2, sl st around next post*, repeat
to end of round. Depending on placement, you will have 10-11 petals. Finish off and weave in
This step is optional.
Short loops on top of petals
Attach yarn color of choice to a front loop from round #6. *ch 4, sk 1, sl st in next st*, repeat to end of round. (16 loops) Finish off and weave in ends.
Long loops on top of petals
Attach yarn color of choice to a front loop from round #6. *ch 6, sl st in next st*, repeat to end of round. (32 loops) Finish off and weave in ends.
Slip over bulb part of solar lamp, with petals toward bottom.
Work rounds 1-9 with red yarn.
1. With H hook and green yarn, start with a magic circle of 6 sts (or preferred method of starting
a circle of 6 sc sts), place marker for working in the round.
2. 2sc in each st to end of round. (12sts)
3. Hdc in next st, (dc, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, dc) in next st, hdc in next st, sc, sl st. Finish
off, leaving a tail for sewing to top of apple.
With yarn needle and yarn tail, sew leave to top opening of apple.
Common Crochet Abbreviations
Ch – chain Sl st – slip stitch
St – stitch Hdc – half double crochet
Sp – space; sps – spaces Dc – double crochet
Sc – single crochet Trc –treble/triple crochet
** – repeat instructions between, as many times as indicated
This pattern is copyrighted to snappytots and may not be copied for resale in part or whole. It is illegal to post this pattern online or share with others without written consent from Heidi Yates. Items created from this pattern MAY be sold. Please include a link to snappy-tots.com if selling online.
Visit Snappy Tots on facebook for giveaways, new release announcements, events and fun. If you enjoyed this pattern, please check out the complete line of Snappy patterns at http://shop.snappy-tots.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Get the latest snappiness!