Last year my son spent 6 months in Africa with the army and, as you can imagine, it was really hot! He told us how they would soak a sock in water, put a water bottle inside and hang it from the outside mirror on their trucks. As they drove the air would cool the water. How COOL is that?! (lol) Read about this: Cold water in the desert.
He also said he still saw our beanies being worn and how much the soldiers appreciated getting something from “back home”. After some brainstorming about a new project, we decided to help keep them cool and save those socks!
Please Join Us In Supporting Our Troops
Project: Cool Our Soldiers
PLEASE read through this page thoroughly. ALL needed information is included and it is important the guidelines are followed.
How can you help?
Crochet a “Water Bottle Soaker”, following the pattern and guidelines. Send all finished soakers to the address below before September 15th, 2017.
These are a quick and easy project and take less than one small skein of COTTON yarn.
They would make a GREAT project for on-the-go and for teaching teens to crochet this summer!
There are specific guidelines. Please follow these because items made from non cotton yarns, or in the wrong colors or by a different pattern cannot be sent and are a waste of your time and shipping expense.
Shipping help: Several people have wanted to donate money towards shipping. THANK YOU!! We cannot accept donations so I am offering sale packs and all money will go towards the project.
Soakers MUST Fit The Following Guidelines
- Must be made from the “Water Bottle Soakers” pattern! WHY?? The handle was designed to be a good length to slip over their mirrors, plus it creates a solid fabric to hold more water. At this time there is NOT a knit version.
- Must be made from 100% cotton yarn so they will absorb water. PLEASE use one color instead of changing colors and creating extra ends that could come undone.
- MUST be one of the following colors (desert-ish colors preferred): tan, brown, natural (please not white), grey, variegated neutrals or browns (such as Red Heart Creme de la Creme Brown Tones and Soft Tans Ombre). See color suggestions by brand and name in our facebook group.
Please stick to the colors listed and do not use any bright versions. At this time greens are not accepted (because there are too many bright varieties).
- Optional: Include a handwritten note/thank you letter inside the soaker. Do NOT include personal addresses or phone numbers on the tags.
- Shipping address available in our facebook group or by emailing Heidi. It is also in the pdf version of this pattern (see link below).
Want to purchase an ad-free, downloadable PDF of this pattern for only $1? click here
100% of the proceeds from this pattern will be used to ship soakers to our soldiers overseas.
Materials and Details
- Yarn: worsted weight COTTON yarn (approximately 92 yards)
- Crochet Hook: H
- Miscellaneous: yarn needle for weaving in ends.
- Gauge: Not important for this project. Instead, check measurements along the way, as listed in pattern.
- Measurements: 9-9.5” tall x 4.5” wide, Handle – 12-14” long x 1″ wide.
1. With H hook and yarn, start with a magic circle of 8 sts (or preferred method for starting a circle of 8
sc sts), pull closed and place marker for working in the round. (8sts)
2. 2sc in each st to end of round. (16sts)
3. *Sc, 2 sc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (24sts) 1.75″ across
4. *Sc 2, 2 sc in next st*, repeat to end of round. (32sts) 2.25-2.5″ across
5-6. Sc in each st to end of round. After round #6 the piece will start to cup.
7. Hdc in each st to end of round until piece measures 7.5” from starting point/beginning circle (measure flat).
8-9. Sc in each st to end of round.
10. Place marker for start of round. This step starts the handle. Sl st in next st, ch 100, sk 2 sts on rim, sl
st in next st, sc in each st on rim to end of round.11. Sc in each ch across handle, sc in each st to end of round.
12. Sl st in each st across handle, sc in each st to end of round.
13. For the first part of this round, please refer to photos below. Sc across handle, working into space below each sl st. Sc in each st to end of round. Working “around” the sl st round creates a stronger handle.
14. Sc in each st across handle and in each st to end of round.
15. Sl st in each st across handle and in each st to end of round. Finish off and weave in end.
If you have ANY questions please check out the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
Do you know of a soldier deployed to a hot climate area that we could send bottle soakers to, please email Heidi.
Thank you for your help!
Frequently Asked Questions
What colors can I use?
Desert-ish colors preferred. Tan, brown, natural (please not white), grey, variegated neutrals or browns (such as Red Heart Creme de la Creme Brown Tones and Soft Tans Ombre).
See some color suggestions (not all) by brand and name in our facebook group.
What is the shipping address?
Who pays the shipping?
The soakers need to be shipped to Heidi (each participant pays to ship the piece to Heidi). The soakers are then prepared to ship to the soldiers. Heidi pays the shipping, with help from the purchase of the pdf version of this pattern. THANK YOU!
How much is shipping?
Heidi lives in Utah. Shipping TO Heidi depends on how far away you live. Since they are a fairly small, light weight project, I think the cost should be pretty minimal.
The cost to ship TO the soldiers will be approximately $40 per location. Until we have our first 100 soakers we cannot know for sure. We need to find out how many will fit in each box. We did a lot of research (A LOT) when we were shipping beanies to soldiers so we know the most inexpensive way to ship.
What Is Beanies for Bravery?